30.12.10

Best of 2010: Bought

The end of the year always brings an abundance of Top 10 lists. My turn to add to the best of the year in what I’ve squandered my hard-earned money on. Except it’s not 10, it’s just whatever I came up with. And I had to separate it into Anthropologie vs non-Anthropologie, since Anthro dominated my spending this year.

Non-Anthropologie

1. J.Crew Jenna’s Cardigan

I bought the black version in the spring and found it to be a perfect cardigan for layering, as Jenna promised. I decided to get the grey version as well. Definitely staples of my wardrobe.

2. Duo Hawthorn Boots

My calves are just slightly too big too big for most boots. So when a friend told me about this company that specializes in calf widths (narrow to wide), I was thrilled. I visited their Saville Row shop in London in October, had my calves measured, and picked out these tan beauties. A boot that zips up easily? Magical.

3. Marc Jacobs Classic Hillier Hobo

2010 was the year I gave in to the designer bag. This is a fantastic basic bag, and it wasn’t too prohibitively expensive, nor does it have the logo prints that I hate.

4. Wolford merino wool tights

Warm legs under skirts in the winter? Fantastic!

5. Bos & Co heels

I picked these up on sale. They are pretty damn awesome. I’ve never gotten so many compliments on shoes as I have with these. A male coworker has branded them “sick”.

6. Cole Haan Air Tali MJ Ballet

I bought these on Monday in Back Bay, Boston. The blizzard was pretty much over, but no one was out shopping except us and a few other people willing to brave the cold and wind gusts. These don’t look like much, but I love the pewter metallic and they are so freaking comfortable, thanks to the Nike Air cushioning.

7. MAC Dazzleglass in Date Night

It’s “lipcolour that dazzles with light and shine to bring an exciting dimensional pop to your lips.” Date Night is a plum with pearl, and although it’s fairly sparkly, it’s my go-to lipgloss of the moment. And it’s not sticky like MAC’s regular lipglass, which I hate.


Anthropologie

1. Torsade Tee (C. Keer)

It’s a T-shirt with a twist, literally. I love grey (I wear a lot of grey), so it fits really well with my wardrobe and goes with so many things.

2. Oak Apple Dress (Moulinette Soeurs)

This is a very "Rachel" dress—the colours, the print, the deep-V-neck with faux-wrap styling. I loved it in the August catalogue, and I loved it in person. Full-price buy for me, but worth it because I can get three seasons of wear out of it.

3. Cream Confection Jacket (Idra)

Another piece I fell in love with on the website, and loved even more in person. Ruffles? Yes! On an otherwise utilitarian fall jacket? Yes again! I wore this jacket all fall and was sad to put it away when it got too cold.

4. Acting Out Skirt (Cartonnnier)

I love basics with a twist, and this is a basic pencil skirt kicked up a notch with the colour and detailing. The dark green works as a neutral so it goes with a lot , and the ruching accents my curves. I wear this skirt all the time.

5. Marine Mural Dress (Nathalie Lété)

How could I turn down a fun summery dress with an octopus on it, designed by a Parisian artist?

6. Height of Summer Dress (Maeve)

I had to buy this dress because of the colour—I’m a sucker for anything remotely teal. It ended up being my go-to dress of the summer.

7. Daily Gathering Dress (Bailey 44)

I bought this dress when I went to Troy, Michigan with my best friend so she could buy a stupidly expensive purse. Not only do I have a great memory attached to this dress, I have a fantastic jersey dress in my closet.

8. Network Dress (Velvet)

Unimaginative name, great dress. I love comfortable jersey dresses, and I don’t own enough navy in my closet. The touch of Kate Middleton in it didn’t hurt either. I had this mail-ordered to my sister’s in Boston, so I got it cheaper than the Canadian price.

This was just a small percentage of what I bought this year, I was a mad consumer and justified it by telling myself it was helping the economy. I’m definitely going to be scaling back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...