11.12.10

30 for 30 retrospective

Kendi’s 30 for 30 challenge was certainly an interesting experience.  To recap, I took 30 pieces from my wardrobe (including shoes) and wore them in 30 different combinations for 30 days.  No shopping for those 30 days either, but I already failed at that, as I’ve already discussed. 

I wanted to do this because I wanted to challenge myself to remix.  I tend to have the same outfits that I wear all the time. That does get boring, and it inevitably leads to more shopping to relieve the boredom.  At first, I really embraced the challenge and had fun with it.  But as it wore on, I developed mixed (sorry!) feelings.  I’m not sure I would do it again.

Wow, that’s a lot of me at once.  I started out taking the photos in the bathroom at work, then I got my act together and started photographing at home, mostly at night, when the light isn’t very good.

What I’ve learned about my style from this challenge:

  • I wear a LOT of black, and to a lesser extent grey.
  • I rely on my fall staples of black cardigans and black tights.
  • I’m not a pants person, since my pants outfits (casual Fridays and weekends) are really not very interesting.
  • I could be more adventurous with shoes.
  • I don’t like belts.  In fact, I don’t accessorize very much at all.
  • I tend to keep things simple, but I like a bit of visual interest in a necklace, a ruffle detail at the neckline, a print, etc.

Outfits I may not have put together if it weren’t for the challenge:

  • #3 – I usually wear black tights with this outfit, but I thought I’d try with my “crushed berry” tights.  Not entirely successful.
  • #16 – I don’t normally wear a coloured top with this skirt.
  • #17 – I forced myself out of my comfort zone and put on a belt.
  • #23 – I could have thrown on a black top with this skirt and called it an outfit, but I went for colour.
  • #25 – again, a belt.

Favourite outfits:

  • #5 – it's all about the necklace and the boots.
  • #9 – no black or grey!
  • #16 – I really love the purple top.
  • #20 – it’s all about the necklace and the shoes
  • #23 – colour with colour.
  • #28 – I felt tall and skinny.
  • #29 – I love this dress.

What else I’ve learned:

  • It is possible to get by with 30 items.  I probably could have kept going, if pushed.
  • I have way too many clothes.
  • Shop in my closet first!
  • I have a better idea of what I love and what works for me.
  • It’s time to start purging.

(At outfit 25, I swapped the poster behind me to Baz Luhrmann’s Broadway version of Puccini’s La Boheme, from 2002.  Les Misérables came back for the last two outfits because I inexplicably had “One Day More” stuck in my head, so it seemed fitting.  Once the earworm goes away, I’ll go back to La Boheme, it’s just a more striking poster.)

Why I probably won’t participate in this challenge again:

  • I find remixing very stressful.  It does not come naturally to me. 
  • I don’t feel the need to wear something new everyday, whether it’s an actual new piece of clothing or a new combination of pieces.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wearing the same outfits again.  In fact, if you love it, wear it again.  And again.  And again.
  • I’m never going to have to work with just 30 pieces.  While this has made me aware of how much I don’t need and what I could do without, I don’t have to do without the rest of my wardrobe. I would rather do a month-long no-shop-but-shop-in-your-closet challenge than limit myself to just 30 things.

I don’t regret participating.  But still, I’m glad it’s over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...