6.10.11

Sweatsuit alternative

In recent years, my quest to develop my personal style has led me to do a lot of research. By research, I mean watching a lot of “What Not To Wear” and reading various books on fashion/personal style, including Trinny and Susannah’s What You Wear Can Change Your Life and The Survival Guide, Clinton and Stacy’s Dress Your Best: The Complete Guide to Finding the Style That’s Right for Your Body, Nina Garcia’s The Little Black Book of Style and Tim Gunn’s A Guide To Quality, Taste & Style. Sometimes I ended up being more confused than when I started; I got bogged down in “rules.” Eventually I learned to take everything I read as a guide and not as gospel. I still don’t own a lot of pieces that are on the “top ten essential items” lists (basic dress pants, a blazer, and a button-down shirt, for instance), and I don’t think my wardrobe is going to fall apart tomorrow.

I think Tim Gunn’s book is my favourite, especially if you read it in his voice—his top ten essential items list is pretty spot-on for me, actually. I take his advice on the sweatsuit alternative to heart:

“There is something appealing about pretending we live lives that require prim little suits during the day and only the most challenging vintage Balenciaga by night. Even if that is your life, isn’t it safe to assume that every so often you just need to be comfortable and enjoy some easy, unrestricted movement?”

It was a sweatsuit week for me. I had a cold and a sprained wrist and I did not feel like getting dressed; I could have happily worn yoga pants or leggings to work all week. But I didn’t, because I have a little black stretchy-knit elastic-waistband pencil skirt that I picked up form Club Monaco a few weeks ago. I’ve worn it for the past four days.



Anthropologie Winged Victory Top (Odille) | Anthro Bette Cardigan (Sparrow) | Hilary Druxman necklace | Club Monaco Celia Skirt | Wolford Satin Opaque tights | Michael Kors heels | tensor bandage courtesy of the medical centre at work

This is a recycled outfit, just with a different skirt, tights, and shoes. Not only did I not want to get dressed, I didn’t want to have to think about putting together new interesting outfits either. It also looked a lot better a few months ago; I’ve definitely put on weight (working to stop that now). They’re not the most flattering pictures in the world, but it’s how I looked this week.

But on the upside, I’m not wearing the bandage anymore, and my wrist feels a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...