8.9.12

Lest my head swells too much…

Something weird happened to me this week. I was walking from my condo on Thursday morning to meet up with my ride to work, and I passed a woman sitting outside Starbucks. She suddenly looked up from her iPhone and exclaimed, “You look so nice!”


Anthro Tartlet Burst Top (Deletta) | Anthro Liquid Acres Skirt (Maeve) | Miss Sixty Tracy shoes

Of course, the first thing I was look over my shoulder to see if she was talking to someone behind me, but there was nobody there. Then I checked to make sure she wasn’t making fun of me, but that didn’t seem to be the case either. So I smiled at her, but I didn’t say anything and walked past pretty quickly.

I mean, I thought I looked pretty good that morning (did my hair, wearing my favourite skirt and my favourite colour), but nothing that I thought elicit compliments from complete strangers. It was nice, but it was pretty weird. And maybe a little sad that I found it so weird?

Of course, once you get built up, you get shot down again. I say it was weird, and it was, but secretly it was really nice. It was great to start my day with a compliment, I was in a great mood all day. But if I were in danger of continually strutting around thinking I’m all that, I’m not anymore.

I had an outbreak of eczema start on my face Thursday night (I’ve suffered from eczema since I was a baby, struggling with it on and off for most of my life), which I thought I had it under control with medicated cream, foundation, and concealer. But I went to the dentist yesterday to get a long overdue cleaning, and the hygienist (Chinese, strong accent, never seen her before) took one look at me and exclaimed, “What happened to your face?!?!”

The exclamation points are probably an exaggeration, but she seemed pretty…repulsed? I explained to her that I have chronic eczema, which she noted in my chart, but only after she asked me how to spell it. Ah, gotta love Asian tactlessness.

So now that I’m Ugly Face, I’ll probably hibernate for the rest of the weekend (normally I don’t care, but now I’m all self-conscious) and see if I’m fit to be seen on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...