23.6.10

I’m getting old and I need something to rely on.

Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So, tell me when you gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin
     –
Keane, “Somewhere Only We Know”

I had a conversation today with a co-worker (who’s also a friend) about being high-maintenance.  He says I’m definitely high-maintenance.  As much as I’d like to think I’m low-key, it’s true, I’m high-maintenance.  But we also agreed that I’m not a diva.  The engagement ring I picked out is not a solitaire, and at $1200 I think it’s too expensive. I take pride in my appearance and I love clothes and makeup and hair, but if it takes me longer than 15 minutes to get ready in the morning, there’s something wrong. 

On weekdays, I dress up to go to work (and probably over-dress, quite frankly), I always wear skirts/dresses and nice shoes, but as soon as I get home, it’s straight into comfy clothes.  I leave for work before Will gets out of bed and I’ve changed by the time he comes home, so he’s never seen half my wardrobe.  (It makes it really easy to hide new pieces in my closet, I just tell him I’ve had them for ages and he hasn’t noticed!)

Case in point: on my birthday (which was Saturday, June 19, when I turned the ripe old age of 32), this is what I wore:

Of course, even on a casual day, I’m still wearing Anthro, Club Monaco, and expensive lululemon.  But I was comfortable, and it was completely appropriate for birthday pho (my favourite meal, hands-down) on a patio on Ossington, and everything still fits and is still somewhat flattering (although the jury may still be out on the crops).

Going back to that engagement ring… I’m not getting married any time soon, but it’s always nice to have these things picked out.

This is a local design by Matsu Jewellery (so local that their studio is a block away from my apartment, and when I walk by I see them making the jewellery through the window).  But it’s only the bottom band, not the oval solitaire (I tried Photoshopping the top ring out, but it just looked stupid), in white gold with a few diamonds. It’s not traditional, but it’s very me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...