6.6.10

Having low expectations means they’ll always be met.

Last night I went to see Sex and the City 2 with a friend from Vancouver.  We both enjoyed the show, saw the first movie and were okay with it, but weren’t sure if we wanted to see #2 because of everything we read about it.  But after shopping at Anthropologie (we had to, she doesn’t have one in Vancouver) and healthy vegetarian food, we decided to go, but specifically for the purpose of snarking.  And there was a lot of it.

So, it was everything the scathing reviews said it would be.  Badly written (Every time they made a quip like “Abu Dhabi Do!” or “Bedouin, bath and beyond!” I turned to my friend and said “who wrote this crap???”  Did they name the busty Irish nanny Erin just so they could fit in the obligatory “Erin-go-braless” joke?), badly acted (in the actors’ defence, they didn’t really have anything to work with), culturally insensitive or outright racist, and incredibly classist. Okay, so it’s supposed to be an escapist fantasy, but in times of economic hardship, it seems downright insulting.  Sorry, I can’t feel any sympathy for rich women with fabulous expensive wardrobes.  No wait.  That’s not true, I can totally relate!  When I make cupcakes with bright red icing with my daughters I wear white!  Especially white vintage Valentino!  When I cuddle at home with my boyfriend on the couch watching TV, I totally wear a designer ruffled gown with a train (a train!) and sky-high designer heels!  It’s just so damn comfy!

Seriously, I feel sorry for the people who are really into SATC without a hint of snark. 

But in a 2.5-hour movie full of product placement, I did find something I do want:

 

 
HP 210 Butterfly Lovers Digital Clutch by Vivienne Tam

How freakin’ cute is that?  If I needed a new laptop (and sadly, I don’t), I would buy this in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...