15.10.12

A weekend of gastronomic suicide in Montreal

Well, not entirely suicide, because I'm still here. Maybe severe gastronomic self-harm? All I know is that I didn't feel too good on the drive back to Toronto the Monday after. Not surprising; in the span of 24 hours, we ate at Joe Beef, Première Moisson at the Marché Jean-Talon, La Banquise, Juliette et Chocolat, and Au Pied de Cochon. I should probably be dead.or at least suffering from heart failure.

We drove to Montreal from Toronto on Saturday morning, got to Montreal around lunchtime and had St-Hubert for lunch. It's a Quebec institution.

Quarter-chicken with mashed potatoes (dark meat), hot chicken sandwich with fries

Saturday night at Joe Beef:

The sign in the window on rue Notre-Dame, the foie gras Ruben double down (smoked meat and sauerkraut sandwiched between two slabs of foie gras coated in crushed potato chips, deep-fried and covered in melted cheese), a giant Bison head in the bathroom

Joe Beef was first and unfortunately I was a little disappointed in it. The food was good, but it was so hipster it hurt.menus on chalkboards you couldn't read (seriously, someone with nicer handwriting needs to write those), tiny tables, the gigantic bison head in the bathroom (seriously, it's freaky to pee next to it), long wait times, and pretty high prices. But the food was good. We were so hungry once our mains came (steak and fries) that we didn't bother to photograph them. It was also close to midnight (much later than I usually stay up, much less have dinner), so we were tired.

Sunday morning at Marché Jean-Talon:


24-lb turkey for $86.47, aubergines, fresh cranberries, romanesco (cross between a broccoli and cauliflower), colourful cauliflower, baskets of blackberries, blue Concord grapes, white chocolate ghosts at Premiere Moisson, baguettes at Premiere Moisson

It made me so happy to be there, surrounded by beautiful fresh produce and gorgeous bread. We had chocolatines (pain au chocolat) for breakfast. I could have eaten 5 of them.

Lunchtime on St-Denis:

Le Dan Dan poutine (fries, gravy, cheese curds with bacon, onions, and pepperoni, sounds disgusting but it was delicious) at La Banquise, Viennese hot chocolate at juliette et chocolat, fleur de sel caramel petit pot at juliette et chocolat

Fries, cheese, chocolate.it's so French it hurts.

Sunday dinner at Au Pied de Cochon:

A spoon the size of my palm, well-worn APDC dinnerware, the best bread I've ever had, duck carpaccio (with mushrooms, parmesan, and a raw egg on top), bison steak tartare, the pied de cochon (pig's foot with cabbage and cheesy mashed potatoes), canard en conserve (duck in a can), the back of the can, the duck in the can being poured onto my plate

SO GOOD. Can't describe. I really thought I was going to die though.

So yeah, that was my weekend in Montreal. In between these meals we walked A LOT, I think we logged about 12km (7.5 miles) on Sunday alone. It helped, but not enough, I had to go straight into a "detox" when I got home. Worth it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...