29.8.12

All or nothing

So one of my goals this year was to learn to be a better shopper, i.e. learn how to shop in moderation. I set myself a limit of one item per month, which I stuck to one month and didn’t for a few others. Including August, when again, I didn’t buy anything. So really, I can’t do shopping in moderation, and I can’t even do moderation in moderation…I can’t do moderation at all. Apparently I’m an all or nothing kind of gal.

But I haven’t been shopping because there hasn’t been anything I’ve wanted enough to buy, plain and simple. There’s really nothing wrong with that, my overall goal is to stop shopping just for the sake of shopping, and I think I am accomplishing that.


Anthro Torsade Tee (C.Keer) | turquoise necklace made by me |  Anthro Circle The Globe Skirt (Edme & Esyllte) | Cole Haan flats

I may not be shopping, but it doesn’t mean I’m not bored with what I have in my closet. I’m not inspired, and I feel like I need something new to spark my interest, but just adding more to my closet without thinking about it isn’t the answer either.

Spurred on by Roxy’s fantastic Building Your Wardrobe series and the impending end of summer (I don’t want to think about it, but fall’s coming whether I want it to or not), I’ve started to go through my closet and take stock of what I have. I started counting, and before I got freaked out by the sheer consumerism of it all and stopped, I found I have 15 dresses (5 solid, 10 print), 35 tops (6 print, 29 solid), 13 skirts (9 pencil, 2 full, mostly solid neutral colours but 2 prints), 2 pairs of jeans (blue and black), 20 cardigans (11 ¾-sleeve, 2 short-sleeve, 7 long-sleeve). 35 effing tops. I don’t need all that, do I? Does anyone really need all that? I’m terrible at math, but I’m pretty sure that if I wore each skirt with each top I’d have over 300 outfits. Some of them might be pretty awful combinations, but that’s beside the point. No wonder I can’t get dressed in the morning sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...