I think I gave the impression in my previous post that applying the principle of “does it spark joy?” when deciding what to keep in my closet was really easy. It was easy, for 90% of it. I started running into trouble with the remaining 10% and started to think and question too much. So although the KonMari Method recommends cleaning in one fell swoop, I had to put that pile aside, clear my head (which meant ignoring it for a few days), and coming back later.
What I learned from that:
- If I answer “I don’t know” to the question “Does it spark joy”, then the answer is really “No.”
- It’s ok to say goodbye to something I loved before but no longer love now. I used to worry sometimes that my tastes are too fickle, but now I’m just going to go with it. Things change, that’s always ok.
Some other important things I learned when going through the exercise of going through my closet:
- Neutrals rule. As much as I like colour, I prefer to keep it as an accent and stick (mostly) to a palette of black and grey. I know, it’s not very adventurous, it’s not out of my comfort zone, but it works for me, and my life needs my closet to be safe and easy right now. I love this, but not right now. Maybe later.
- Things that spark joy don’t have to be fancy, or really unique, or really different. I love a simple pair of black leggings or black ballet flats. A basic black pencil skirt makes me happy. Just because they’re simple pieces doesn’t mean they can’t spark joy. I used to think that basics were mere necessities, but maybe I used to have the wrong ones.
- I’m never ever paying attention to those lists of "Wardrobe Essentials" or "10 Things Every Woman Must Own" again. Every woman is different, and while these guides might be helpful for some people, they don’t work for me. I don’t have a blazer (never found one I liked), I don’t have any button-down shirts (shocker for someone who works in an office), and I won’t get any unless I find ones I love.